SMRT HEALTH NUTRITION
Helping You Live Better
From The Inside out
Clinical Nutrition – Is the use of diet and supplementation to achieve optimal health. Nutrition and its use as medicine is the cornerstone of naturopathic medicine. Food intolerances, deficiencies, dietary imbalances or nutritional excesses have been associated with many medical conditions. A poor diet is the leading preventable risk factor for many health concerns. This makes nutrition the foundation to health. Eating healthy nutritious foods are sometimes not enough. Other determinants are to recognize food sensitivities, are there certain foods causing inflammation, are you digesting or eliminating the foods you are eating. All these have a tremendous impact on how we feel. This includes detoxification and removal of toxins from your body. Working on these aspects through diet modification and nutrient supplementation allow us to optimize digestion, absorption, metabolism, and elimination. Our Clinical Nutrition services at SMRT Health are often part of a plan to support your health concerns through:
- Overweight/Weight Gain: What we eat has an impact on weight. Knowing what to eat, what to avoid and when to eat certain foods are effective part of weight management.
- Constipation/Diarrhea – What we consume plays a significant role in bowel habits. Another nutrition area to consider is gut flora – are they pathogenic or normal?
- Mental Health – Many studies show a profound link between food and mood.
- Headaches – There are many reasons for headaches. Food sensitivities or nutritional deficiencies has to be an essential part of finding the root cause.
- Dyspepsia – Gas, Bloating and stomach aches are very common. These are sometimes one of the first signs your digestive tract needs support.
- IBS/Crohn’s – Irritable bowel or Inflammatory bowels has seen a dramatic increase in incidence over the years. According to the Canadian Crohn’s and Colitis it has risen by 50% in children in the last 10 years. There are currently 270k Canadians but in 9 years that number will be 400K.
A healthy digestive tract is the key to good health
Who can benefit
There is a profound link between the gut, brain and immune system. The gut is considered the second brain. It contains about 70% of our immune system. Now we can see how essential it is to keep our gut healthy and happy.
How we can help
The Latest Happenings
Keep Your Immune System in Peak Condition
Image credit: Eraxion/bigstockphoto.com The Great Defender: that’s our immune system, uniquely designed to keep us healthy and defend against illness and infection. Made up of organs, including the skin, lungs,